www.clairecaterer.com
about Claire M. Caterer books by Claire M. Caterer blog with Claire M. Caterer Press for Claire M. Caterer Fun Extras with Claire M. Caterer Contact Claire M. Caterer Other Writing by Claire M. Caterer
NOTE: I don't post to this blog super-duper often anymore, because I'm busy writing, well, books. (Read more about that here.) For more up-to-date, day-to-day ramblings, visit my Facebook page.

Thursday, June 13, 2013

A Thank You to Watermark Books


Unlike a lot of authors I know, I haven't exactly been busy on the book-signing circuit. First of all, let's dispel a myth, in case you're still clinging to it: Most of us don't get sent on paid book tours. Because most of us are not Neil Gaiman or Veronica Roth or Lauren Oliver. Surprise!

Most of us are just ... us.

That means that we newbie authors pay our own way when we want to promote our books. I'm not dissing my publisher or any other publisher (why would I shoot that particular foot?). It's just the reality of the business. When you're rolling with the third or fourth book of a wildly popular series--Jeff Kinney, Rick Riordan, those folks--then you can put away your credit card.

As for my credit card, let's just say the magnetic strip is looking pretty worn.

So, being a writer who will soon start paying her child's college tuition, I've not done much traveling. But lucky for me, Watermark Books & Cafe in Wichita is a drivable distance (about 3 hours), and it's also convenient to some nice free lodging, courtesy of my mother-in-law and her husband.

Watermark not only hosted a successful signing last week, with about 35 people in attendance, but marketing manager Beth Golay set out a beautiful spread of cupcakes, crackers, and cheese. (Don't you love the old typewriter?!) Store owner Sarah Bagby gave me a lovely intro. And both of these ladies even uncorked a bottle of champagne! How's that for a welcome?



So thank you, Watermark Books & Cafe, for hosting such a lovely event. And thank you, Diane Wahto and Pat Roche, for opening your home to me. Wichita is a great town with beautiful parks and gardens, great restaurants, and lovely people. Let's do it again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment