www.clairecaterer.com
about Claire M. Caterer books by Claire M. Caterer blog with Claire M. Caterer Press for Claire M. Caterer Fun Extras with Claire M. Caterer Contact Claire M. Caterer Other Writing by Claire M. Caterer
NOTE: I don't post to this blog super-duper often anymore, because I'm busy writing, well, books. (Read more about that here.) For more up-to-date, day-to-day ramblings, visit my Facebook page.

Friday, January 17, 2014

Visit to Stilwell

It's a little bit mad to schedule author events the week after New Year's. But school schedules can be tight, and I didn't want to miss the chance to visit Stilwell Elementary, home of the Mustangs, on January 10.



The kids and I had a fantastic time. First, I spoke to the 3rd-5th graders about how I came to write The Key & the Flame--my early writing, lack of art talent, early failures, and the eventual publication of the book. We also talked about what makes a good story and keeps readers turning pages.

With the kindergarten, first, and second graders, I took a different approach, assuming that 6-year-olds wouldn't be keen on hearing about all my rejection letters. We talked about story in general--how to brainstorm characters and setting--and then we created a story right on the spot with several talented actors from the audience.


 In both groups, I was amazed at how attentive the kids were and what great questions they asked. Thank you, Stilwell, for such a warm welcome!



Next month: Off to Fayetteville, Arkansas, to visit with the Grizzlies of Vandergriff Elementary! Find a complete listing of upcoming events here. For info on arranging an author visit to your school, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment