NOTE: I don't post to this blog super-duper often anymore, because I'm busy writing, well, books. (Read more about that here.) For more up-to-date, day-to-day ramblings, visit my Facebook page.

Sunday, March 9, 2014

TBR 2014: Book No. 6



For shame, Claire! A fellow Kansas writer, a Newbery award winner who lives in your state, a wonderful lady who even attended your book signing in Wichita--and yeah, I've never read her debut novel. Okay, enough lashing! I'm reading Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool!

Vanderpool weaves humor and sorrow into a complex tale involving murders, orphans, bootlegging, and a mother in hiding. With believable dialogue, vocabulary and imagery appropriate to time and place, and well-developed characters, this rich and rewarding first novel is "like sucking on a butterscotch. Smooth and sweet." --Booklist (starred review)

Replete with historical details and surprises, Vanderpool's debut delights,
while giving insight into family and community.  --Publishers Weekly (starred review)
So far, I am loving this book. It's rich and interesting and wonderfully written. Come on, read it with me!

That's right: I've committed to reading all the books on my TBR Shelf this year--and blogging them! Click here to read the reviews I've posted so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment