www.clairecaterer.com
about Claire M. Caterer books by Claire M. Caterer blog with Claire M. Caterer Press for Claire M. Caterer Fun Extras with Claire M. Caterer Contact Claire M. Caterer Other Writing by Claire M. Caterer
NOTE: I don't post to this blog super-duper often anymore, because I'm busy writing, well, books. (Read more about that here.) For more up-to-date, day-to-day ramblings, visit my Facebook page.

Friday, April 11, 2014

Fun Friday: Who Gives a #^(! About an Oxford Comma?

I'm a fan of the Oxford comma, people, and not just because it's named after the Oxford University Press, which makes it sound like a supersmart thing. It's come from years of editing using the style book most favored by American publishers, The Chicago Manual of Style. But its use is--gasp--optional. Here's today's informative video on the topic:




And here's today's irreverent take on the topic. (Caution: an R-rated word is featured. You've been warned.)

2 comments:

  1. Fun post, Claire. I wasn't familiar with Vampire Weekend or their song about the Oxford comma; catchy song, though. I grew up without the Oxford comma and it wasn't until more recently that I started using it (although I don't use it every time). There are times when I think it's unnecessary (a list, for instance), as long as the meaning is clear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Joanne! I can't really stop using the OC. It's such an entrenched habit from my editing days. But objectively, I do think it's superfluous at times.

      Delete